Monday, January 27, 2020

Week 1 - January 20-26, 2020

This week was the first official week of the plan!

An overview:

Monday - Day off

Tuesday - Speed work: 2 miles warm-up, 8x400m repeats w/ 400m recovery, 1 mile cool-down

Wednesday - 30 min bike: 10 min easy / 10 min moderate / 10 min easy
                     Poseidon total body workout

Thursday - 45 min moderate bike
                  Atlas basic core routine

Friday - 5 miles w/ 3 miles @ Tempo Pace (7:15/mile)
              [was supposed to do Bia hip routine, moved to Sat]

Saturday - 30 min bike: 10 min easy / 2x3 min hard w. 2 min recovery / 10 min easy
                 Bia hip routine + Achilles lower leg routine

Sunday - 10 miles Long Run

Run details:

Speed Work Day - this turned out to feel really good. I hadn't done 400m reps in quite some time, but enjoyed the quicker pace and the way the treadmill kept me on track without much mental exertion on my part (there WILL be a time for that later, though). Felt smooth and strong!


Tempo Day - this also felt fairly smooth and strong. I did break after 1.5 miles for about 1 minute before returning to the pace, so my HR did recover slightly. Pace seems to match feel in the way that I was hoping it would after the training I had put in so far.


Long Run - started off so quick, but that was due to elevation changes! I wanted to keep my pace in the 8:00-8:20 range. Weather was cool and damp, and I chose to run down a road I didn't typically run, knowing that the elevation changes would be more significant. See for yourself....

 

Nutrition & Hydration:

Not my best this week. I still consume more coffee than I should throughout the day and not enough water. Over the weekend, I felt the urge to snack a lot more, perhaps indicating the increase my training workload, and usually salty things. Even though I still consume pre-workout / electrolyte drink before and during workouts, followed by protein + creatine after, I might need to tweak my electrolyte intake throughout the week.

Rest & Recovery:

Could be better, but I did have a lot of down time over the weekend. I need to get in the habit of elevating my legs post-workout to help with the lactic acid removal. Sleep has generally been OK, relatively speaking.

Looking ahead, I am *kinda* nervous about doing 1200m reps next week. Those have never been my favorite distance for repeats, and we shall see how that feels on the treadmill compared to outside. But the tempo pace continues to feel strong and natural.

Giddyup!

1 comment: